Saturday, October 17, 2015

October Soap Challenge Club - Alternative Liquids

The challenge this month was a lot of fun,  We were to choose something to replace 100% of the water in our cold process soap.  I picked aloe juice.  We also had to research and benefits that this might have in our soap,

We also were restricted to natural colorants and essential oils.  That was a curve ball for me.  I love my mica and fragrance oils.  In the end I used kaolin clay to whiten the batter and activated charcoal for black.  I also used a 50% blend of patchouli and orange essential oils.  The design was a simple tiger stripe.

Here are my thoughts and a link to the video of the making.


Aloe Juice in Soap

Aloe vera has long been used as a herbal cure all for skin conditions, so what properties does it bring when used as a water replacement in soap, if any?  It is helpful to review some conditions aloe is used for, and then look at what some studies say about these attributes before we can theorize what it might do in soap.

Aloe is used as both a medical and cosmetic application.  Taken internally it is used as either a laxative or digestive aid depending on the source of the claim. Soap is an external application however (except those children who mistakenly utter a ‘four letter word’ in the presence of some parents), and the list of topical ailments is much longer.  Sunburn relief is the best known. Many moisturizers contain aloe and claim that it helps heal dry skin, psoriasis, fight the effects of ageing, and ease the appearance of stretch marks.  It is also said to help heal acne.  Hair products also tout its inclusion on the label, with promises to increase the shine and volume of hair or help with dandruff and dry itchy scalps.

However, there are also studies that suggest that aloe vera can actually slow the healing of some wounds.  WebMD reports that the FDA has become concerned about the toxicity of aloe when taken internally, possibly linked to kidney problems.  There are also links to clinical studies on the aloe vera wikipedia page.  

What does aloe bring to soap?  That is a tricky question.  Lye is a very reactive compound, and there are no studies about how it interacts with aloe.  The exothermic reaction raises the solution to nearly boiling.  All of this makes it unlikely that much of the aloe remains in its natural form.  Aloe does contain natural sugars however.  It is well known that sugar, from table sugar to honey to fruit juices, help create lather in soap.  So while the medicinal value of aloe in soap is questionable, it will bring increased lather volume and density along with the label appeal.


Sources:







9 comments:

  1. Excellent work, James!! I'm so glad you stepped out of your comfort zone with the natural colors and scents - your soap is in its proper place under the spotlight! Aloe is pretty amazing in soap too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. When I heard the natural colorant restriction, I groaned. Pretty much all I had was AC and kaolin. It worked out pretty well. I do have some EO's - lemon grass, tea tree, peppermint. But I figured if I was going to branch out I might as well go whole hog.

      Delete
  2. Really nice stripes! I like the scents you chose too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am a little worried the orange is going to fade. But we will see what happens.

      Delete
  3. Great job, I really love the contrast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the way it turned out as well.

      Delete
  4. Great job, I really love the contrast!

    ReplyDelete